Alan Wheelhouse has been a member of ASTeC's since December 2007, having previously worked at E2V Technologies for 18 years, developing high power RF vacuum devices for the TV broadcast and scientific applications. He has led the RF and Cryogenics group since 2012. His primary areas interests are RF systems for accelerators, focussing on high power RF systems and cavities.
He has made fundamental contributions to many of STFC's accelerator projects, including:
- ALICE: Commissioning and operation of the high power RF systems for the 1.3 GHz super-conducting RF cavities (SRF).
- EMMA: Design, installation and commissioning of the high power RF system for EMMA.
- VELA and CLARA: Design, installation and commissioning of the high power RF system for for the VELA and CLARA gun and linac cavities.
- HL-LHC: Internal Project Sponsor for the phase-1 development of a prototype cryomodule
- ESS: Work Package Lead for the procurement of the 88 high-beta SRF cavities; responsible for the procurement of the niobium material and cavities, working with industry to ensure the quality standards are met to enable the delivery of cavities to the required specification.
- PIP-II: Project Engineering Lead for the PIP-II cryomodule programme and Work Package Lead for the procurement of the 20 high-beta SRF cavities; responsible for the procurement of the niobium material and cavities.
Alan's published papers can be found on STFC's ePubs.